Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fuwa Fuwa Cake Chocolate Marshmallow


The Fuwa Fuwa cake marshmallows seem to be getting increased market penetration. They're showing up in more convenience stores and in greater varieties. Personally, I'm waiting for the day when the 10 packs of the original yellow bean filled ones show up. For now, I'll have to content myself with fishing the individual ones out of boxes by the cash register as an impulse buy at the last minute.

I have no idea why these are called "Fuwa Fuwa Cake" when they have nothing in common with a cake. The only reason I use that in my post's title is that that is the name it is given in Japanese on the package. We found these chocolate marshmallows at Natural Lawson's convenience store. Like the other varieties, it cost 53 yen (about 60 cents). The big difference between this one and the others that I have sampled is that nutritional information has been added to the back of the package. This one is 94 calories and has 2.4 grams of fat.


This smelled very mildly of cocoa powder before I cut it open for picture taking. The filling, which is like pudding, releases a much more intense scent. Upon tasting it, I discovered there's a good reason for this. The chocolate marshmallow has the same weak, unimpressive flavor that most flavored marshmallows have. The filling is where all of the "oomph" is in this. It is intense, high quality bittersweet chocolate. And don't underestimate the word "intense" here. It's powerfully chocolaty.

The marshmallow was fresh and had a good texture and was bland enough to encase the filling nicely. If you like strong bittersweet chocolate, you'll likely love this. If you're more of a milk chocolate fan, this may be a bit much for you. The quality can't be beat, and I think this is well worth trying again, if not visiting again.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

The filling reminds me of chocolate Ganache, looks very yummy! :)

Orchid64 said...

Ah, ganache, I love a good ganache.

Leesy said...

Fuwa fuwa is an onomatopoeia word for fluffy. I suppose marshmallow is kind of fluffy cake. Kind of?

Orchid64 said...

Well, it's not a "cake" in any way that the word is used in English since it's completely a marshmallow. ;-)

Thanks for commenting, Leesy.

Kathy in S.B. said...

I've been having a great deal of fun reading through past entries in your blog (and I'm almost to present day, which will be sad). This one really has me wanting to try it, especially after your favorable reviews of previous Fuwa Fuwa Cake Mashmallows. As a big chocolate fan, this one just has me drooling!

Orchid64 said...

Hi, Kathy, and thank you for reading and taking the time to comment!

I definitely recommend giving one of these a try. I've been seeing more and more varieties of them around. Most recently, a strawberry one has been on offer. The only one I didn't care much for was the lemon (too intense).