Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Random Picture #201


I went to an area in San Jose called "Little Saigon". I perused a supermarket there which offered a lot of durian-flavored items. This one stood out to me not because it was a durian salted snack, but because it is designed for the Japanese marekt. On the left side, it says "durian maki". There's a little cartoon man with a headband that has the Japanese flag on it in the lower right. "Maki" means "roll" in Japan and I'm guessing the little fellow is supposed to represent a sushi chef. Perhaps these are supposed to be a snack version of a sushi roll made with durian? Any way you look at it, this is one scary-sounding snack. And, no, I did not buy it.

6 comments:

thegypsie said...

Durian is something that scares me from the descriptions but is something I think I should try once before I die.
I heard horror stories about natto and to be honest, it's not a favorite but not something to write home about either. Or at least not post youtube videos of myself making overly dramatic gaggy noises.

Orchid64 said...

I should try it once as well. I did try natto and the main issue was the smell (as it reminded me of beer and I hate beer) the first time I tried it. The second time, it was the stringy mucous stuff that revolted me. I think some types are worse than others.

γƒ˜γ‚€γ‚Όγƒ«πŸŒ· said...

hello! just came across ur blog while lookin for country ma'am cookie reviews! ooh are u from san jo? I'm in union city!

Orchid64 said...

Hi, Hazel. I'm rather near San Jose!

Unknown said...

I will try anything at least once, but durian got the better of me when I tried it in Hong Kong. Eating it wasn't pleasurable and the lingering smell of it made me... well, barf! :(

Orchid64 said...

I've heard the smell is truly horrible (saw it a long time ago on a Michael Palin travel documentary) and it is, frankly, one of the reasons I've not taken the plunge!